SaaS Apps vs. Traditional PC Based Software
When looking at licensed software against a software as a service (SaaS) such as VisionDB, many businesses are looking at the way they handle their software needs, and are moving towards SaaS apps.
SaaS apps are often industry focused, and simple web applications that are purchased at a low cost. In comparison, the total cost of ownership of traditional software must account for the initial purchase price of the license, then also for updates, IT support, training, and development. Software that includes more applications bring more value to the software itself, but still require IT and upgrades. It’s now increasingly apparent that the price of software is a small portion of the total cost of ownership.
Many Businesses moving towards Saas
Companies such as Google, Apple and Microsof are ever expanding their online storage presence and software such as Microsoft Office and Sage are moving towards the cloud as they feel that this is the way forward. The way we have used IT in the past is changing in front of our eyes.
Advantages of SaaS
There are many advantages of Software as a Service apps over traditional software. Here are some top reasons:
- Save money. SaaS apps tend to be utility based which is awesome for lowering costs. You can pay as you go, and are only charged for what tier of service you use. There are no additional deployment, IT, hardware or implementation costs either.
- Save a lot of time. Deploying traditionally licensed software takes more time, and usually more training. SaaS by their very nature tend to be easier to get up and running on in much less time.
- Better infrastructure. SaaS apps also usually operate in the Cloud which means you can access your application and your data anywhere you access the internet.Things associated with the Cloud include reliability, scalability and flexibility which allows businesses to streamline services and not worry about infrastructure overhead or management of the required hardware for traditional software. IT is no longer a concern.
- Always using the latest version and take advantage of new innovations. With SaaS new features and fixes can be released to users immediately. There is no pain or cost of upgrading software licenses and no waiting for major releases.
- Security. Believe it or not this is often true for small to medium sized businesses. Your data is more secure with a 3rd party SasS vendor, than it is being managed in-house by a small IT resource. There also tends to be less incidences of downtime and reliability issues.